The building is owned by the Diocese of Chelmsford and is used for peaceful retreats. It has 22 Guest Rooms, a Reception, Library and Dining Room. The front of the building is a small plastered Georgian listed farmhouse.
Hidden behind this is the main brick retreat house, which was built in 1908 in the Arts and Crafts Edwardian style, originally as a convent for the Servants of Christ.
In Phase One, Kay Pilsbury Thomas was instructed to upgrade the Guest Rooms in the Georgian front range and also the Conductor’s Room in the Edwardian range, to include En-suite bathrooms to each room.
In Phase Two, we extended the Edwardian wing with a new Garden Room, where guests could peacefully sit and enjoy the beautiful views of the garden and castle grounds. The aim of the design was to use warm and welcoming natural materials that also harmonised with the garden and historic building. The Garden Room structure is oak framed with oak joinery, and the roof has a living green flowering surface. We also added an accessible WC and a high quality Accessible Bedroom and Shower Room to ensure the building is capable of welcoming all.